Friday, October 23, 2009

How to make a nurse costume

How to make a nurse costume



This is how I made my cute nurse costume this year!



I used a button up short sleeved shirt from Suzy Shier, Ambercrombie and Fitch ruffled skirt and white bow flats.
And red duct tape.

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/bmz_cache/d/d98b5aef849a64a21bd644108cf5dc92.image.280x280.jpg


Everything you see here was either made by hand or items I already owned.


This costume was very simple to make. It took me a while because I did not have a design in mind and was just playing around. For everyone else, I recommend to refer to pictures of existing nurse costumes.




This is 1/3 of the sexy nurse costume.
Those sideways 'Ls' are supposed to be pockets, BTW.
Red tape circling the end of the sleeves and a single universal medical red cross on the chest.

Looks nice and simple yet still creative!


These 'buttons' are actually tiny cut out hearts.
They took me forever to cut them out. This part actually took me the longest to do!


A shot of the backside.
It's blank except for a tiny red cross near the lower back.




The A&F mini skirt.
Very very simple design, two medium sized medical crosses on the left and right hip.


This is a photograph of the back of the skirt.
Again, there is a tiny cross located near the bottom.
Seems to be a recurring theme I guess.


My shoes that I'm going to wear!
Yes, I am only wearing one sock at the moment- the other one got wet.



The nursing cap headband that I made.
My mom says it looks adorable but she may have been lying to save my happiness.

I folded a piece of white paper in half, cut out the pattern that I wanted and used red tape to seal off all the edges, leaving the bottom. Afterwards I slid a white headband into the slot provided.
Easy as A-B-C.



Every nurse needs a large white bag to hold all her important items in!
Accessorized with another cross at a corner.

I wish I had a photo of myself wearing this outfit. Unfortunately, bad hair day all this week and classic laziness deterred me.
I'll have photos either tomorrow (Frightnight) or next week.


Accessories that I did not have but would have made my costume better would be:

- stethoscope (looped casually around the neck would look so sexy!)
- white stockings (going all the way up to mid-thigh)
- large toy thermometer or needle (To 'care' for the patient)
- medical chart

Other variations of nurse costumes:

To be a scary nurse instead, add some fake blood and mess up your hair. Add some white face powder and heavy eyeliner and you're set to go scare little kids.



A modern nurse wears scrubs (any colour and pattern), a stethoscope, hair in a ponytail and holds a medical chart. You may easily be confused with a doctor or an intern, so for easy reference, make a name tag that says 'NURSE namehere'.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1354hN3vRng/R8hpMLaR1NI/AAAAAAAAAHs/o6qOax0aGeo/s400/nurse+uniform+modern.jpg

For a joker nurse. Add a short curly red wig, traditional surgical mask and the trademark joker makeup.

http://trylobyte.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/joker_nurse.jpg

Silent hill nurse: I have absolutely no idea where to start with this. It's an amazing costume but I would expect it to be insanely hard to make and hard to breath and see in it.
There are plenty of tutorials on the internet so check those out.

posterthenurses0sw.jpg

NEW: Click HERE for photos of my costume

Click HERE for my original post



Thanks for reading, good luck.



(:

5 comments:

kamille said...

awesome idea. I am so doing this for Halloween this year. thanks. ^-^

Moriah said...

I have a button down white dress that I want to turn into a sexy nurse costume and I have been looking EverYYYwheree for a little inspiration. Thank you soooo much!!
<33 MoriaH

Emmie Wong said...

Thanks girls, I hope you guys had an awesome Halloween! (:

addypotter said...

Great idea! I have dressed up as a nurse for several Halloweens now. I usually just buy cute scrubs and where those. I love it!

Pixax said...

love to read your blog posts. its very hard to find some content for nursing training on internet. however cna become a very expensive job but i don't understand why people don't written on this subject. em a nurse and i understad it