Thursday, March 25, 2010

Best Drugstore Mascara

Best Drugstore Mascara

I can't believe I haven't done one yet, mascara is one of my fave products (:

People demand many different things from their mascara. They want it to be lengthening, volumizing, to hold a curl, waterproof, smudgeproof, flakeproof, moisturizing with vitamin E, wet formula, dry formula, lots of definition, thick barrel brush or thin pencil brush! Consumers want these qualities in combination with other elements or just alone by itself! Argghh everyone is so demanding.. especially me ^^

People have different wants and needs, depending on their natural eyelashes. For example, I have short, stubby Asian lashes that are mercifully not pin-straight. My ideal mascara would length my eyelashes like a madman, adding just a hint of volume because I want a more natural look. No curling properties needed as I don't even curl my lashes LOL (gasp, I know).

These are the best drugstore mascaras on the market that will help you rock your look for a sensible price (:


Max Factor 2000 Calorie



A mascara that lengthens and volumizes, with a cute name to boot (: 2000 Calorie is waterproof and smudgeproof, with a hypoallergenic formula that is appropriate for sensitive eyes. Goes on lashes a rich black and keeps them soft and lush (not hard with caked on formula). 2000 Calorie holds a curl all day and comes in a sleek black tube with a straight brush. Discontinued in stores but available through online retailers.


Maybelline The Falsies




Go for this product if you want long, dramatic looking lashes equivalent of false lashes! The Falsies provide enormous length, volume and curl with no clumps or smudging all day long. One coat gives you a innocent, doll-like look. Two coats would bring you up to the 'falsies' level. Add another coat for a lush, glamorous look with Betty Boop lashes. The brush is slightly curved and bends to give you a better coverage. Comes in an adorable fat purple tube with matching brush ^~*



Maybelline Colossal Volume

http://skirmishofwit.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834eb38c969e20120a52aaa04970c-800wi

Said the be the Diorshow mascara dupe, this mascara provides great volume and length. Comes with a large barrel brush perfect for capturing the smallest lashes and coating the bottom lashes evenly. Apply one or two coats of Colossal for thick and full lashes with no flaking or smudging. Might clump if more coats are added on. The packaging is similar to Maybelline The Falsies, only with a bright yellow design. Colossal Volume contains a strong artificial rose smell which may bother some people. The waterproof version is raved about a lot because of it's lasting properties (will not budge through rain tears or sweat).



NYX Doll Eye Mascara- Long Lash




Doll Eye gives a long lash look, but more subtle and not as dramatic. The formula is dry and contains tiny fibers that cling to lashes for amazing length but still keeping them soft and lush (and not crunchy). Doll Eye has no problems with smudging, flaking or clumping. It holds a curl well, however it's not a volume mascara so don't except thickness. A great mascara for an everyday look. Comes in a cute, long bullet shaped tube with an hourglass wand.


Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume & Curl Mascara

http://aishop.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/kiss-me-heroine-mascara-3.jpg

A mascara from the Japanese line, Kiss Me works to thicken up and lengthen lashes while providing a curl to last all day. Contains chamomile extract and Camellia emollient to make eyelashes smooth. Volume & Curl mascara is extremely long lasting.. so much it states that it's 'highly waterproof'! It holds up through water, sweat, tears, grease and can even last through swimming! But removing at the end of the night is a pain, it just doesn't want to leave you! (: Kiss Me produces a mascara remover however, so that might be worth looking into. The packaging box is so rockin, each product from the Heroine Make line has a picture of a beautiful heroine from history (:



L'Oreal Beauty Tubes Mascara

http://movablehype.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/cos50_1_large1.jpg

Now this is an unique mascara! Beauty Tubes is double ended to give a more dramatic look and uses new 'tubing technology' to surround each lash and lengthen them. Washes off like a breeze and the mascara comes off in little tubes with some water! How adorable! I know what I'm doing on a rainy day! Ok no, I'm not that weird o-o;
Beauty Tubes contains a white primer (to be applied first) and then a tubing formula (second). The product goes on smooth, with no clumping and gives incredible length and definition. And the mascara does not smudge either because after it has dried, it forms a tube around the lash and cannot come off (except with a combo of water and pressure). The formula goes on a rich black and lasts all day.


(:

4 comments:

Justine (Productrater) said...

I neeeed to do a mascara blog post soon, cause I have so many and love mascara as well. Can you find maxfactor in Canada? I've never come across it! I haven't tried the maybelline falsies either, same reason, haven't seen it around here. But I do like the collosal one, the yellow tube a lot.

Emmie Wong said...

Justine; No, Max Factor is discontinued but you may find it at discount stores that pick up those merchandise (liquidation world). I'm loving collosal as well but the tube is a little too bright for me =P I much rather prefer the lovely colors of Falsies.

Anonymous said...

Are all these formulas more on the dry side or the wet side?

Sharlynn said...

I love love Kiss me Heroine! I got it at my local pharmacy recently and it's amazing! As for the falsies...I've been using the asian version "the magnum", same brush...amazing results so quickly! length, volume and curl...I haven't tried the others! But I have way too much mascara to get any more!