Sunday, November 14, 2010

How to Work in Retail- Sales Associate

How to Work in Retail- Sales Associate




This may seem like a random topic for a beauty blog, I know. But then again, this also doubles as a personal blog and blogging is how I retain and memorize most things!
This article will seem very odd if I don't explain a little first. So first of all, I have been working as a salesgirl in a clothing boutique for a while now. When I first got hired, I didn't know the first thing about selling and was really freaked! I tried trawling the internet for help but I found little aid for my dilemma. Now that I've got the hang of things, I'd like to tell everyone my tips and tricks to working in a clothing store.



Tips 'n Trickz
In no apparent order.



* Don't follow customers around. That sound be a given, since no one likes being stalked by an employee. Then again, don't hide either. Keep your distance far enough you can still see them and give help if needed.

* SMILE!

* Greet every customer that walks in the door. This not only lets them know "Welcome! I'm here to serve you and make your shopping more enjoyable. However, I'm also watching you, so don't try anything funny." This also lets the other employees know there are more people entering. Tell them what promotions the store is offering or what is on sale and point them in the general direction.

* Customers are always priority #1.

* Ask to get them a fitting room, rather than "do you want to try that on?" because the automatic answer is "no, I'm just browsing" and then a hasty putting of hangers back.


http://www.officialtherefromhere.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sales-retail.jpg


* Try to get the customer to come out when they try clothes. That way, you can advise and compliment and encourage them. Never lie! I am always honest when asked what I think. I will be gentle and blame the style or the sizing, but I will never tell someone to buy something I know does not suit them.
If you can, suggest a couple items similar to what the customer tries on, and bring them to her.

* During the quiet moments, I hang rejected clothes, do sizing and shuffle the racks.

* Keep eyes peeled for shoplifters. Don't place all your attention on a customer and learn to watch the whole store. Count the clothes they bring in, watch the entrances and corners and pay attention to baby strollers and large bags.

* Dress according to the dress code. If there is none, wear clothes that mimic the store's style or wear the actual clothes from the store. You need to look like you're rockin', and if you're selling in pajamas, no one is going to take you seriously. You should look like you actually shop from the store, even if you don't.




* Don't chat with co workers when customers are in the store.

* Be educated about your stock. Know what are new arrivals, what is on sale, where this brand is from and where is it manufactured, what material it's made of and what other colour and sizes it comes in. It took me a while to memorize it all, but now you can quiz me on my knowledge! It also sounds very impressive when you recite it to a customer :D

* I treat each customer that walks in with the same amount of respect and politeness. As long as they need help, I will be there.. fetching sizes and making suggestions. Don't discriminate based on appearances and clothing. I've seen many rich looking women who don't buy anything. And I've seen a plainly dressed woman buy hundreds of dollars worth without trying anything on. Appearances can deceive...  


Tips for making the sale

http://www.nataliedee.com/051706/nordstroms-shoe-sale.jpg

* If they brought children in, be extra nice to the kids. Ask them to sit down, make them laugh or whatever. It worked 3 times out of 4 for me.

* Loosen them up immediately. I always make a joke about the buttons on coats as I'm undoing them. This makes them laugh and lets them know I'm down to earth and willing to help.

* Ask them their name. Use it. Often. This is a physiological thing, people love to hear their names.

* If they like the item, ask casually "So will this be all?" or "Will you take this one in blue or black?" or "Shall I ring this up for you?". These are all positive sentences that end in either a YES or WaitHoldOnASec.

http://www.unibulmerchantservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Split-Sales-and-Split-Tender-Transactions.jpg


Something I hate...

I see a customer staring at a piece on a hanger, examining every square of it and reading the labels. Then turning it over and and measuring it against the body. After 5 mins of this I can't take it and ask the customer if they want to try it on. They seem surprised and say "What, oh this? No." and shove it back on the racks. Or better yet, they sense my presence and put it back as soon as I take a step in their general direction.


Something interesting...

I was showing a woman this coat I particularly liked and she asked me to model it for her. I did, and mentioned it was my favorite but I was unsure because of the length. She said "Oh it looks great on you, that cut really flatters the body, you should really get it.. etc". After a while I started thinking "Wait a minute.. who's selling who??".



So that's all the tips I have accumulated so far. I hope this has helped future sales associates or been an interesting read if nothing else. I'll end it here, I have work in the morning haha!

*

For an article from a retail employee, click for Seven Lessons Learned from Working Retail.
For hilarious retail horror stories, click for Not Always Right?


(:

13 comments:

SleepandMakeup said...

great tips! ^_^ the last part was funny. haha!

Anonymous said...

Thank your so much! I'm 20 years old and have being looking all over the internet for tips, guidance - ANYTHING! I start training at the Gap today and I have no idea what to expect or what to do. I bombed my interview, so I don't know how I got the job, so now I'm so nervous!

Becky said...

"After a while I started thinking "Wait a minute.. who's selling who??"."

There's always one. :)

Seems like there's a whole different set of rules for working in fashion retail. I haven't worked in retail for a few years now and when I did it was in a food store. No tricky questions about "does this suit me?", just customers coming in, doing their weekly shop and leaving. I'm definitely not cut out for fashion jobs, way too many variables. :P Me, I've got a tendency to throw on the first thing I can dig out of the wardrobe and I just don't think I could fake enthusiasm for fashion.

Anonymous said...

very helpful! I begin working with Lacoste next week and I will definitely use these tips.

Kimmy said...

That was a really helpful read. I'll definitely keep all these tips in mind when I start my Nordstroms job. Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

This was really helpful. I just started working at a boutique and I didn't think I'd have a hard time with it, but I struggle with what to do in the down time and when customers are browsing. I personally don't like when sales associates talk to me, but that's my job now so its a little weird!

Anonymous said...

This was the most helpful thing I've found online! Been looking everywhere for tips and praying my manager doesn't notice how awkward I am when the store is dead or customers are just browsing lol... so good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks so much :)

Gisela :) said...

THanks so much ! I got interviewed today for my first job , and its in retail and I get thrown onto the floor tomorrow for 4 hours for a trial :S I couldn't find any information at all , but you saved me ! :D Your tips are awesome , I'll definitely be using them tomorrow ! Thanks !

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, i too was on a quest to find tips on how to sell better. Also my first retail job. Lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm starting at a swimwear and clothing store at the beach next week and this was very helpful.

Anonymous said...

This was extremely helpful for me as well, I'm starting my first retail job next week and now getting extremely nervous!

Anonymous said...

veryyyyyyy helpful! i will start at charlotte russe next week

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for putting this up! It my first time working at retail!