Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How to Rock on your Prom Night

How to Rock on your Prom Night


♕ + ♔ = ∞ ♥

This is an article I did in my school newspaper about dressing for prom. I would have written more but it was getting so long already. I'm almost 97% sure they're going to cut a lot of it out. I also wrote 3 other articles on various events that happened in the school which I'll bet that they will not publish >=*(

The really ironic thing is that although I'm a graduate, I haven't even begun shopping for my own homecoming dress yet. I got a pair of heels but I decided that I do not like them. The only thing I have prepared are my false eyelashes... :( I'm such a procrastinator.. Sorry for the rant..

So without further ado, here are tips and tricks for prom night!


http://jd-new-york-limousines.com/images/prom-1.jpg


Prom is a formal, black tie event where the boys dress in black tuxedos and girls wear traditional formal gowns. Prom is one of those events that you would remember for the rest of your life.

Some graduates have started planning for this event weeks and months in advance, but for those last minute planners, here are some tips for you.


http://www.italianfashiontrends.com/images/tuxs/prom14.jpg



For the guys:


Tuxedos are considered the formal wear for men, however a dark coloured suit would work as well.

A complete prom suit should consist of a jacket, trousers, bowtie and a Boutonniere.

A boutonniere is a flower decoration worn by men and goes through the lapel buttonhole. Red or white carnations are the classic boutonnieres, however other flowers may to chosen to better coordinate.

Try a crisp white tuxedo shirt with nice, simple buttons paired with a bowtie. A black tie is traditional but try a different colour to coordinate with your date's dress or if you're feeling brave. Shoes can be made of black leather or patent leather. Accessories would be a nice touch to the outfit; try a pair of cufflinks or a nice watch.

Get a haircut 2 weeks prior to the big day, don't risk trying a new style.. leave the experimenting until after the event is over.

On the night of prom, don't forget to shave, style your hair, shower, apply deodorant and splash on a little cologne!


http://www.fashionproducts.com/articles/blue-prom-dresses.jpg



For the ladies:

When picking a prom dress, it's best to choose a style that is flattering for your figure and showcases your best features. These are the dress types that I hope will be helpful to choose your perfect gown for homecoming.


Shape of the dress


- Princess or A-line dresses slim your body frame by forming an A shape. The A- line dress is narrow near the waist and flares out to the hem.

- The Ball Gowns have a top with a fitted, corset style top and a large, billowing skirt.

- The Empire has a neckline that is scooped out with a high waist that falls above the natural waist


Neckline



- Spaghetti strap dresses are very thin straps on a garment and offers minimal support for the dress. Typically these gowns are revealing up top so be sure to balance it by choosing a long length dress

- One-shoulder dresses are trendy and gives minimal to medium support depending on the style.

- V necklines give good support for the dress but gives lots of coverage of the skin

- Strapless dresses offer little support at the top so it is crucial to get a dress with the correct fit. It should be snug at the top but not too tight that it pulls at the skin. The dress should be balanced; since it is tight at the top, it should be long, loose and flowing at the bottom.

- Halter gowns consist of two pieces of material tied or sewn behind the neck. Draws attention to the shoulders and chest.


Hemline

Traditionally prom dresses are floor length pieces, however this is the 21st century so no need to limit yourself! Dress heights vary from mini length (above knee) to tea length (below knee) to floor length. Ideally, the skimpier and tighter the top is, the longer the gown should be. And if the top has a lot of coverage, the length should be shorter to reveal some more skin.


http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/482937561_291144e831.jpg



Accessories

Keep jewelry to a minimum. Try to wear only one piece of jewelry so as not to overwhelm the dress with accessories. Classic pieces to wear are chandelier earrings, long sparkling necklaces, cocktail rings and more! Bracelets are not typically worn as the corsage already acts like an accessory for the arm.

An elegant clutch would be a great addition to the outfit, however do not let it detract attention away from the dress. Coordinating purses and heels would be a nice match.


Shoes

It really depends on the length of the dress. If you're going for floor length, the shoes should be plain as to not take attention away from the gown. If it's long enough, you might even get away with flats! The shoes do not have to match the dress colour exactly, they could be a little darker.. as long as it complements it. Silver, black and gold are also great colours to choose from.

The most important deciding factor in shoes is COMFORT!!! If you're going to be dancing in them for hours, you better be able to move and walk in them. It doesn't matter how gorgeous the shoes are if they cause you pain.


Bring a camera, extra hairspray and change of shoes and get ready to have a memorable night.

Congratulations graduates of 2010, good luck and remember to have fun on your big night! (:



My prom dress inspiration photos:


http://images.asos.com/inv/S/142/1353/581172/Black/image1xl.jpg


Love, but not a fan of the colour.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2707/4253941418_b3bab5b7c0_o.jpg


Cute! Really loose and girly at the bottom and a great bold shade.

http://www.peachesboutique.com/Images/Products/7f8d7b49-90d4-4b98-a540-e1dd7a005e2e.jpg


My favorite dress out of this batch. I only wished the bottom of the dress was 2 inches longer. The colour is perfect, I love the bow on the strap and the embellishments make it truly the perfect prom dress.

http://www.promgirl.com/_img/PRODUCTS/320/PromGirl-456482309.jpg


I like the diamonds on the strap and how the dress is all runched up. Looks like more like a clubbing dress though.


http://www.couturecandy.com/store/assets/walter/wlt-6687dsdrsprpst-fnt.jpg

I like this but looks a bit too casual. There's no POP and GLAM that the other prom dresses have.



Judging from these photos, you can see that I'm hell-bent on getting a one shouldered prom dress. The reason is that I think they're really trendy and beautiful! I cannot wear strapless, otherwise I'm scared the top will fall off on me! I don't like dresses with straps because they tend to show a lot of cleavage. The ones with a closed top and straps tend to look too causal, and anyways I'm not a fan of that look. I chose a one shoulder because I adore the strapless dress even though I cannot wear it. I think a single strap will give me some support as well as give a unique look to my dress.

There's absolutely no way I'm going for a long dress. I'm going for a shorter length to show off my legs (: And anyways, how can I possibly dance in something that's heavy and dragging towards the floor? Last winter formal, a girl had a floor length dress and everyone was stepping on it... I think it ripped as well. You have to show off one of your features: the chest, back or legs; and I choose the legs! For the bottom, if it's tight then I'd want it to be knee length. But if it's loose and flowy then it should be mid calf to balance the dress. ;)

I've been so determined to find a single shoulder dress.. too bad hardly ANYWHERE carries them because they're too trendy. Le Chateau has some but they sell clubbing stuff and the one I tried on, I didn't like the bottom ): Laura Petites has some really really gorgeous ones but none are one shoulder. I WILL have what I want, dammit! One shoulder or bust!

/End crazy ramble.
I've also been looking for another dress to wear to prom. Since we're pulling an all nighter, it'll be night to change into something less elaborate and easy to move and dance in. I'm thinking of getting a really cheap dress (for like $30) just to mess around in. Style doesn't matter, only requirements are: bright colour, shows leg and easy to move in. I'm also looking for it to be more casual that I could slip a sweatshirt over it and don Converse and no one would be the wiser.

I'm going on a crazy dress hunt on Saturday. I bet you two chocolate dubloons that I'll come out with nothing.








(:

Peace, Greece and wallet decrease.

2 comments:

Kim Axani said...

Love all those dresses, esp the short ones. You look great as well!

Emmie Wong said...

Kimber; Thanks, doll (: I prefer shorter dresses compared to longer ones, that's why there's so many xD